Its my sister’s birthday when I made dabeli. I am just thinking that what to make special for her. I saw dabeli on youtube and it looks very yummy. And very easy to make so I decided to make it for my sister. I made this by seeing the video on youtube which is made by Tarla Dalal.
What is dabeli?
Dabeli is just like a burger in Gujarati style. It has a stuffing of mashed boiled potato, tomato, dabeli masala, imli chutney. You can buy dabeli masala from any grocery store it is easily available but I made it at home. By making it at home it is fresh, healthy and has a different taste and smell in the food. You can also make it at home its very easy to make all the required spices are available at home. Dabeli is just a mixture of different taste it has a little bit spicy, sweet and tangy also.
There are a lot of methods to make it. Every person makes it in a different style as he wants to make. But the dabeli masala is necessary you can’t make it without this masala.
It is just a freeze if you have everything ready. Pomegranates, peanuts, sev(namkeen), onion, chutneys, and potato stuffing is the must for it. Firstly you have to heat pav on tava till it turns a little brown. Then put chutney on the top and bottom of pav. Then apply a thin layer of mashed potato and masala stuffing. And put peanuts, pomegranates, onion on it and round it on sev (namkeen).
You can make it for snack time and for guests also on any occasion it's very tasty.
- On slow heat dry roast dabeli masala ingredients for 8 minutes. Let it cool. Grind this into a fine powder. Keep aside.
- Heat a pan. Add 1 tablespoon butter and oil.
- Add asafoetida, ginger paste. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, turmeric powder, red chili powder, and salt. Cook till tomatoes are mushy and oil appears on the side.
- Mix the grind dabeli masala and cook again for 1 minutes.
- Add potatoes. With a masher or a fork, keep mixing and mashing the potatoes.
- Add in lemon juice and sugar. Cover and cook for 2 minutes on slow heat.
- Mix in chopped coriander leaves and the mixture cool down.
- Take a bun and slit it into two parts. Spread a thin layer of green chutney on both the parts.
- On one part apply the thick layer of potatoes mixture, another part apply 1 tablespoon each of pomegranate seeds, peanuts, chopped onions, and sev. Put the other part on top of another (like a sandwich). Do same with the remaining buns.
- Heat a pan and add remaining 1 tablespoon of butter. Roast the dabeli/bun on both the sides till it is crisp and golden.