This custard is a good alternative for those who hate drinking plain milk. It is a light and tasty pudding recipe with a good amount of calcium, energy, and protein. The smooth and delicate pudding recipe coated with a delicious caramel sauce. It is a simple and stunning dessert made with bread, milk, sugar and if you like the egg you can also add the egg in it. Pudding can either be steamed or baked.
This is a deceptively simple recipe. But let its simplicity not fool you, this pudding is worthy of any special event too. You can make this pudding recipe for kids. It is very healthy and tasty. And very easy to make. kids really like this caramel pudding.
I was little my mom make this tasty caramel pudding for me. It is very light and its caramel sauce is fabulous in taste. And its look very good in the presentation also. You can also try this pudding recipe when guest arrived or on any occasions. This will make your occasion very good.
This is an excellent recipe for when you want to make something sweet or you want to eat something sweet. You can try this recipe when you want to use leftover bread. So this will help you with no food wastage.
You can make variations in the pudding recipe. This caramel pudding will be baked or steamed you can make it as you want. If you like the egg then you can also mix an egg in it. It will give you a more softness in the pudding or if you don’t like the egg you can make it eggless.
It is a simple and tasty way to give your kid all nutrition in one way. Milk is rich in calcium and bread is rich in protein. You can use white or brown bread which you like.
Indian kitchens rarely relied on oven till just a few years ago. So, this bread pudding believes it or not it is steamed in the pressure cooker. The heat from the pressurized steam make this pudding recipe moist and very soft. A pressure cooker is probably the best kitchen implement ever. There is absolutely nothing which we can’t do in a pressure cooker. Even we can make the cake in the pressure cooker. If you search on the internet than it will tell you that there is nothing which you can make in the pressure cooker.
But if you have an oven you can give perfectionist to this pudding recipe in the oven by bake it. I have given you two methods to make caramel pudding. First, you can make it in the pressure cooker by pressurized it or second you can bake it. Bake will give you some crisp.
This Indian style bread pudding closely resembles flan or a caramel custard. I love it warm, at room temperature or chilled; it is good any which way.
You are planning to serve it at a party for the guest then you can make the large batch of the caramel pudding and then serve it to your guest or make it for any occasion.
Make sure you read the recipe entirely before you begin. I have given the methods for making bread pudding in the pressure cooker or to bake in the oven.
Steaming in the pressure cooker
You will need a pressure cooker, a bowl for steaming (stainless steel or thick glass) or a loose fitting stainless steel lid.
Baking in oven
You will need ovenproof bowls or thick glass bowls for baking in the oven.
CARAMEL PUDDING COATED WITH SAUCE
(STEAMED OR BAKED)
YOU WILL NEED:
FOR CARAMEL SAUCE
FOR BREAD PUDDING RECIPE
- Whole Milk – 1½ cups
- Sugar – ¼ cup (or more as per taste)
- Bread – 4-6 slices (white or brown)
- Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
- Salt – a pinch
- Melted butter or ghee – to brush inside the bowl
- Cashew nuts – 1tbsp, chopped (optional)
- Raisins – 8-10 (optional)
1.Caramel sauce: Take a pan, melt the sugar and water for caramel sauce. Cook on medium flame, till sugar, dissolves into water and starts to boil. After some minutes the sugar will bubble up and begin to darken. When it is golden brown then the sauce is ready. Don’t burn it. Off the flame and pour it into a bowl. Coated the sides of the bowl with melted butter. Keep aside it. Your caramel sauce is ready.
2. Bread pudding: Heat milk and sugar in a saucepan. Just make it hot not boil it.
3. Remove from heat and add chopped up pieces of bread into the milk. Stir them well and allow to rest for 5-7 minutes till they soaked the milk or allow to dissolve into milk.
4. Stir in vanilla extract and a pinch of salt. Add chopped nuts and raisins if using.
5. Pour the custard mixture carefully into a prepared bowl. Make sure it is filled just2/3 rd part.
6. Steaming in the pressure cooker: Fill a pressure cooker with 3 cups of water. Place a trivet in the bottom. Place the steamer bowl over this, lightly covered with foil (make a couple of steam vents with a knife) or a loose-fitting stainless steel lid. Cover the pressure cooker, place the weight and cook on medium-high heat for one whistle. Immediately lower the heat to a simmer and cook further for 20-25 minutes. Allow the pressure to be released naturally before opening the pressure cooker’s lid.
7. Take the bowl out and cool it. Run a knife along the edges of the pudding and invert onto a serving plate. Serve it or refrigerate it.
8. Baking in the oven: Preheat the oven 350 degrees F.
9. Arrange the filled ramekins in a cake pan or baking pan with raised sides. Pour boiling hot water into the pan until the water comes to midway up the sides of the ramekins.
10. Cover loosely with a large piece of foil. Bake for 30 minutes and check for doneness with a toothpick. If it is not done, bake uncovered for 5-10 more minutes.
11. Remove from oven and cool slightly.
12. Serve it hot or put in refrigerator if want to eat chilled.
Enjoy some comforting bread pudding.
Make it on the weekend or weeknight. Just like that or for any occasion. Or make feel special to your loved ones and shows your love towards them.